Invisalign Aligners are an innovative new ‘invisable brace’ system which incorporates a series of custom-made clear plastic aligners. Made from thin, clear, medical grade plastic the aligners fit snuggly onto your teeth and are virtually invisible so no-one will even notice that you are wearing them.
Individually designed, each aligner is slightly different. It works by applying a controlled amount of force to your teeth and causing them to move gradually. With each Aligner worn in turn over one to two weekly increments the system slowly straightens your teeth effectively and comfortably.
Suitable for use on both top and bottom teeth they are ideal for smaller issues- such as straightening just a few front teeth- but are also highly suited to dealing with more complex ones including overbites/underbites, gaps overcrowding and misalignments.
There are a number of advantages to the Invisalign system:
- Treatment is predictable and planned in advance. Your dentist is able to accurately predict when your treatment will be finished. You are also able to view a projected treatment plan on the revolutionary 3D software and see how your teeth will look at the end of your treatment.
- Invisalign can actually improve your periodontal health. Less crowding can make cleaning your teeth much easier leading to better oral hygiene.
- With aligners made in advance appointments can be shorter and less frequent.
- The aligners are invisible so unless you point them out no-one will even notice you are wearing them. This means that you can feel confident and happy when you smile or talk.
- Aligners are fully removable making it easier to eat, drink and clean your teeth.
- Aligners can also be removed for special occasions if required meaning that their effect on your personal life is minimal.
- As there are no metal brackets or wires this can help those with allergies.
- Custom manufacture of the retainers gives a tailored match to your teeth reducing irritation and making them more comfortable.
What is involved in Invisalign treatment?
Initially, impressions of your teeth will be taken to determine whether the Invisalign system is suitable for straightening your teeth. A detailed treatment plan will be developed using the virtual 3D treatment plan Clincheck ® which will show you the series of movements your teeth are predicted to make, how they will finally look and how long this is likely to take.
If confirmed that you are suitable for treatment, you will receive a set of custom made aligners which you will need to wear in turn for one to two weekly increments. You will need to visit your Dentist for regular appointments so that they can ensure treatment is progressing as expected and that you are comfortable.
Length of treatment differs with each case but can range anywhere between 6 months and 2 years. Average treatment time with Invisalign is around 3-9 months. It is also advised that you wear a retainer for as long as possible following treatment.
Here are some of the straightening issues that can be treated with Invisalign:
- Overcrowded Teeth – This occurs when there is a lack of room within your jaw for all of your teeth to fit normally.
- Widely Spaced Teeth – This occurs when you have extra space within your jaw.
- Cross Bite – This is when the upper and lower jaws are both misaligned. It usually causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth, and can happen on both the front and/or the sides of the mouth.
- Deep Bite – This is when the upper teeth overlap significantly with the lower teeth.
- Under Bite – This is when the lower teeth protrude past the front teeth, usually caused by undergrowth of the upper jaw, overgrowth of the lower jaw, or both.
Return to the Treatments page
Contact us today for a consultation!